Jake's Recipies

"Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education." -Mark Twain

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Spaghetti Sauce

I've been in college a long time now, so you can rest assured that I've had to survive off alot of spaghetti in my day. Here's my favorite way to make a good chunky meat sauce.

Ingredients:

1 lb Ground beef
1/2 Large white onion, chopped
1/2 Green bell pepper, chopped
2 8 oz. Cans of tomato sauce
1 Can of tomato paste
1 Tblsp Minced garlic
1 Tblsp Olive oil
1/2 cup Red wine (I prefer Cabernet Sauvignon)
1/2 cup water
1/2 Tblsp oregano
1 Tblsp Basil
1-2 Bay leaves
1 Tsp Crushed red pepper (for those of us who enjoy a little heat)
Salt

Sautee the garlic, onion, and bell peppers in a skillet. Add ground beef and brown. Once the ground beef has been browned add the cans of tomato sauce and tomato paste, the red wine, and the oregano, basil, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, and salt to taste. Add water until you have the desired consistency. I prefer my sauce thick so I tend to add little to no water. Allow the sauce to simmer for 5-10 minutes. Voila! You're ready to pour this over some spaghetti.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home