Jake's Recipies

"Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education." -Mark Twain

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Mamacita's Guacamole

My dear sainted mother called me the other night completely outraged at how I had butchered her guacamole recipe. She quickly sent me a corrected version which I now will place on here so that she can sleep better at night and won't be cranky when deciding whether or not to disinherit me. Here it is direct from the oracle herself:

Dear Jake,

As shocked and dismayed as I was at having my date of birth broadcast nationwide, 1684 being a conservative estimate, it was nothing compared to having that disaster of a guacamole recipe attributed to me. What will people think if they actually try that thing? Here it is - the real deal.

3 medium to large avacados moderately ripe mashed with a fork
2 medium sized roma tomatoes diced
mix these two together then add the following

(here's where things usually fall apart - you really have to know what it tastes like in order to make it and most people miss the boat)

onion very finely minced (to the point of almost being a pulp) to taste
lemon juice (none of that bottled stuff please) to taste
salt to taste

A FEW HINTS I usually add the onion one teaspoon at a time or less keeping in mind that you really don't want the guacamole to have an oniony taste so go easy on the onion. In all you might use only 2 tsp or 3 tsp max depending on the size of the avacados involved.
The lemon on the other hand is usually under done. It may easily take the juice of one whole lemon.
Go light on the salt you don't really want to be able to identify it either.

The best guacamole is very mild and very subtle.

Serve over lettuce leaves as a salad or as a dip with tortilla chips.

PS no garlic, no chili or pepper of any sort, and guacamole should never be sent through a blender. And it was not a little old Mexican lady it was one of my Mexican friends from college which come to think of it she probably is a little old Mexican lady by now. Oh well.


ORIGINAL POST:

My mom claims that she learned this recipe from a little old mexican lady when she lived down in Kingsville, TX. All I know is this is guacamole as I love it best.

Ingredients:

2 Ripe avacados
1 Roma tomato, diced
1/4 Cup Diced white onion
1 Lemon
1 Tsp salt

Skin the avacados and mash with a fork in a mixing bowl. Be sure to leave the avacado pits in the bowl as they keep the avacado from browning while exposed to the air. Add diced tomatoes and onions. Squeeze lemon juice over the guacamole, add salt (to taste) and mix together. For best results, put the guacamole in the fridge and let it chill for at least 15 minutes. This lets the flavors combine well, and makes the guacamole completely irresistable (or so I think).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home